Interpretation of IBM operating system error codes and messages can be tedious and frustrating.
Many times the appropriate manuals are not readily available for the user's access. If the manuals
are available, the error description and corrective procedure are often impossible to interpret.
A list of the errors most commonly encountered at the CIS Technical Support Department with a
brief understandable description of their meaning and a suggested procedure for correcting the
error is given below.
2. IDENTIFYING THE ERROR CODE
Identifying the error code is the first step in the process. The first page or pages
of the printed output generated by a job is the JES3 job log or JESMSG dataset. This
is a chronological listing that specifies JES3 and system operator messages issued
during processing of your job. If your job abended (ABnormally ENDed), a message near
the end of JESMSG will appear, resembling:
hh.mm.ss SYS2 R=IEF450I jobname procname stepname-ABEND Snnn Ummmm
The characters "IEF450I" are a message identifier code which can be looked up in
the "IBM OS/VS Message Library: VS2 System Messages" manual for a description of
the message. The actual jobname, procedure name, and stepname for your job will
appear in the indicated locations in the message. The "Snnn" and "Ummmm" identify
the more helpful parts of the message. The "Snnn" is a code denoting a SYSTEM abend.
These codes can be found in the "IBM OS/VS Message Library: VS2 System Codes" manual.
The "Ummmm" is a code denoting a USER abend. These codes will vary from one user's
program to another, therefore these will not be discussed.
Following the JES3 joblog will be a print file referred to as JESJCL. This is a
list that specifies JCL and any additional job control statements from included procedures.
The next section of output is referred to as the SYSMSG dataset. Within this file
all system messages will be printed which will include a more descriptive message
associated with the error message appearing in JESMSG. Quite commonly, one error
code has several meanings, thereby making the extra information in this section
very useful in identifying the problem. For example:
IEF472I jobname procname stepname - COMPLETION CODE - SYSTEM=913
The characters "IEC150I" are another message identifier code, which may be looked
up in the system messages manual. To the right of this code is the system abend
code. In this example it is "913". The "-38" is an additional code number occasionally
used to distinguish between different errors under the same system abend code.
The following are the most commonly found system abend codes. If assistance is
needed with the less common system codes, the Technical Support staff is available.
2.1 COMMONLY OCCURRING ABEND CODES
2.1.1 ABEND CODE 013
1. ERROR ID: IEC141I
2. DESCRIPTION: The system could not OPEN one of your datasets properly,
generally because of an incorrect DCB parameter (BLKSIZE), or it could not
find the specified member of a partitioned dataset.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Check the BLKSIZE in the DCB parameter to insure
that it matches the BLKSIZE of the dataset. Verify the spelling and existence
of the member of the partitioned dataset.
2.1.2 ABEND CODE 0C1
1. ERROR ID: none
2. DESCRIPTION: The computer tried to execute an invalid machine instruction
and an operation exception occurred.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Check the overlaying portion of your program.
Accidentally overlaying part of your program with data (subscript out
of range) or bad addresses will produce this error.
2.1.3 ABEND CODE 0C4
1. ERROR ID: none
2. DESCRIPTION: This is a storage protection violation generally caused
by your program trying to STORE data in memory that is not allocated for your use.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Make sure any subscripts used do not exceed the
boundary specified. Correct all bad addresses in a store-type statement.
2.1.4 ABEND CODE 0C5
1. ERROR ID: none
2. DESCRIPTION: The computer tried to ADDRESS an area in a non-existent
part of memory (beyond the bounds of our installation memory).
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Check for improper subscripts and for inconsistent
lists for subprograms.
2.1.5 ABEND CODE 0C7
1. ERROR ID: none
2. DESCRIPTION: This is a DATA exception error. The system tried to execute
an instruction that works with packed decimal numbers and found the numbers
to be incorrectly formatted. This error commonly occurs in PL/I and COBOL
programs when working with data that has been incorrectly converted after
inputting from cards or some other file or when numeric fields declared to
contain packed decimal data are not initialized prior to use.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Either correct the data or the conversion format
in your program.
2.1.6 ABEND CODE 106
1. ERROR ID: none
2. DESCRIPTION: A system software or disk problem occurred during the execution
of a LINK or LOAD instruction.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Insure that the load request in the problem was
specified correctly and was not incorrectly modified, then resubmit the job.
2.1.7 ABEND CODE 213
1. ERROR ID: IEC143I
2. DESCRIPTION: The system tried to open a DASD data set and encountered
difficulties. This ABEND customarily occurs when the dataset name specified
in the DSNAME parameter does not exist.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: If the dataset is catalogued, make sure the spelling
is correct. If the dataset is not catalogued, insure that the proper volume was
specified on the VOL=SER parameter
2.1.8 ABEND CODE 222
1. ERROR ID: IEF301I
2. DESCRIPTION: The operator cancelled the job.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: If no message is given in JESMSG, contact the operator
for an explanation. Many times the error is caused by improperly accessing a
2.1.9 ABEND CODE 2F3
1. ERROR ID: none
2. DESCRIPTION: The job was executing when a system failure occurred
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Resubmit the job if your results are unsatisfactory
and contact Technical Support for a job cost reimbursement
2.1.10 ABEND CODE 322
1. ERROR ID: none
2. DESCRIPTION: Execution of a job, job step, or catalogued procedure step
took longer than the time specified. If no time was specified in the TIME
parameter on your jobcard, the job was given the default value of 30 seconds.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Check for program errors, such as endless loops.
Correct any such errors and rerun the job. If no such errors were found,
increase the time and rerun the job.
2.1.11 ABEND CODE 613
1. ERROR ID: IEC147I
2. DESCRIPTION: An input/output (I/O) error occurred during execution of
an OPEN instruction for a dataset on magnetic tape. The error resulted in
either reading or writing incorrectly a tape label or mark, or positioning
a tape volume. This error typically occurs in standard label processing for
multiple tape files.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Rerun the job, since malfunctioning equipment has
likely produced the error
2.1.12 ABEND CODE 722
1. ERROR ID: none
2. DESCRIPTION: The system cancelled your job because an output limit was
exceeded for lines being printed or cards being punched.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Assuming that the program is correct, increase the
appropriate specification by use of a MAIN card. IF lines were exceeded (default=5000),
the LINES parameter (in thousands) should be increased accordingly. If cards were
exceeded (default=500), the CARDS parameter (in hundreds) should be increased.
2.1.13 ABEND CODE 804
1. ERROR ID: none
2. DESCRIPTION: Your job requested more virtual storage (memory) than the amount
that was available.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Increase the REGION parameter on the abending step's
EXEC card. If no region parameter was specified, the default value for the
procedure being executed was assumed.
2.1.14 ABEND CODE 806
1. ERROR ID: none
2. DESCRIPTION: This error occurred during execution of a LINK or LOAD instruction.
The system was unable to locate a load module.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURES: Make sure the spelling of the load module name or program
name is correct or that the appropriate STEPLIB or JOBLIB DD card defining which
library the load module resides in is included in you JCL stream.
2.1.15 ABEND CODE 80A
1. DESCRIPTION: This error is complimentary to system abend code 804, discussed above.
2. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURES: The same procedures should be exercised for this error.
2.1.16 ABEND CODE 813
1. ERROR ID: IEC149I
2. DESCRIPTION: During execution of an OPEN instruction for a dataset on magnetic
tape, the dataset name on the header label of the tape did not match that specified
on the DD card.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Insure that the DD statement specifies the correct DSNAME,
volume serial number, and label for the tape being accessed.
2.1.17 ABEND CODE 913
1. ERROR ID: IEC150I
2. DESCRIPTION: An OPEN instruction was issued for a RACF-protected dataset on a
DASD volume which your userid was not authorized to access. RACF only allows you
to access datasets with a high level qualifier the same as your userid or which
you have been explicitly given access permission to by the owner of the dataset.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Make sure you have the needed access authority to the
dataset. Attention should be given to the publication "RACF, A Component of the
IBM Operating System of The University of Georgia." This is a brief general
information manual published specifically for IBM users at the University. It
may be obtained at the Technical Support Department.
2.1.18 ABEND CODE A13
1. ERROR ID: IEC151I
2. DESCRIPTION: The system tried to OPEN a non-existent dataset on magnetic tape.
The system encountered the end-of-volume tape mark when forward spacing to the
file you specified in the LABEL parameter on the DD card.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Check the file sequence number and volume serial number
from the previous job that created the dataset.
2.1.19 ABEND CODE B37
1. ERROR ID: IEC030I
2. DESCRIPTION: This error results if either one of two situations occurs.
Firstly, if the DASD volume to which the system has assigned one of the program's
output datasets does not have enough available space to allow the necessary
secondary allocations to be made. Secondly, this ABEND can occur if the output
dataset used all 16 extents of secondary allocations but still required more space.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Estimate the space required for the output dataset
before rerunning your program. If possible, decrease the amount of space
requested or if more space is obviously needed increase the primary and/or
2.1.20 ABEND CODE D37
1. ERROR ID: IEC031I
2. DESCRIPTION: An output dataset used all the primary space and no secondary
space was requested.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Increase the primary allocation or add a secondary
allocation to the space parameter for that output dataset.
2.1.21 ABEND CODE E37
1. ERROR ID: IEC032I
2. DESCRIPTION: If creating a dataset on tape, all space available on the
volume specified was used and the system attempted to write another record.
If creating a partitioned dataset on direct access, 16 extents of secondary
space were used when the program attempted to write another record.
3. CORRECTIVE PROCEDURE: Specify at least one more tape volume or specify more
primary space if creating a partitioned dataset.
ERROR AL MOVER DATA EXEPTIONFALTA TARJETA SYSOUT
|A13-14||INTENTAR SACAR UN PRINT A UN GDG|
|S001||LONGITUD DE LA TARJETA ES ERRADA|
MIEMBRO DE LA LIBRERIA NO EXISTE. O MIENBRO NO EN LIBRERIA
EL COPY DESCRITO PARA EL ARCHIVO NO CORRESPONDE AL DEL FILELA LONGITUD DEL ARCHIVO NO ES CORRECTA, REVISAR EL FD.
TARJETAS DEL SORT ESTAN MAL ESPECIFICADAS.
EN SENTENCIA WRITE, DSN FULL.WRITE SIN DAR OPEN AL FILE.
|ERROR EN LA DEFINICION DEL ARCHIVO, ES SECUENCIAL Y SE DEFINE COMO INDEXADO.|
|SA13||ERROR EN EL DSN DE LA CINTA. LA MONTARON ERRADA|
|SB37||ESPACIO DEFINIDO EN DISCO ES INSUFICIENTE|
|SD37||SE LLENO EL DISCO.|
SE LLENO LA LIBRERIA DEL DISCO.SE LLENO EL DISCO ASIGNADO AL GRUPO.
|S80A||FALTA MEMORIA PARA EJECUTAR EL PROGRAMA, PONER EL PARAMETRO REGION.|
|S137-0C||PROBLEMAS EN LA LECTURA DEL TRAILLER DE LA CINTA|
|S152||USUARIO SIN AUTORIZACION PARA CONSULTAR ARCHIVO|
|S160||SE INTENTA SACAR PRINT A UN ARCHIVO VACIO|
|S168||SE DEBE CERRA EL ARCHIVO PARA PODER SACAR PRINT|
|S213||LA DECLARACION DEL FILE NO COINCIDE CON EL QUE ESTA EN USO POR EJEM. EL ARCHIVO ES SECUENCIAL Y SE QUIERE INTRODUCIR UN REGISTRO DE ORG. INDEXADA.|
|S222||OPERADOR LO CANCELA|
|S322||SE AGOTO EL TIEMPO DEFINIDO|
|S413-08||UNIDAD DE CINTA MALOGRADA|
|S522||EL OPERADOR SE DEMORA EN COLOCAR LA CINTA O NO ENCUENTRA ALGUN OTRO RECURSO|
|S613||ERROR DE I/O AL MOMENTO DE OPEN UNA CINTA.|
|S714-0C||ERROR EN EL CLOSE DE LA CINTA.|
|S722||SE LLEGO AL LIMITE DE IMPRESION DEL OUTLIM.|
NO SE ENCUENTRA LA CINTA.MODULO ACCESADO NO ENCUENTRA EL PROGRAMA EN LA LINK.
|S806||MODULO ACCESADO NO ENCUENTRA EL MODULO LINK.|
|S878||FALTA REGION EN EL JOB O AUMENTAR REGION|
LONGITUD DEL FD NO COINCIDE CON LA DEL REGISTRO.
DCB NO CORRECTO.
LABEL DE LA CINTA NO COINCIDE CON EL ESPECIFICADO.
NO EXISTE VERSION ESPECIFICADA.ARCHIVO VACIO.
|S837-8|||AL SORTEAR POSIBLE .. AUMENTAR EL SPACE|
NO SE PUDO OBTENER LA MEMORIA SOLICITADA POR EL PARAMETRO 'REGION'.SE DESEA UTITIZAR UNA FACILIDAD DEL SISTEMA SIN CONTAR CON LA AUTORIZACION NECESARIA.
|S922||SE DETECTO UNA FALLA EN EL SISTEMA|
|S001||An I/O error ocurred. Check reason code for exact cause. Examples are trying to read beyond End of File, trying to write to an input file or a file length error|
|S002||Invalid I/O record, eg attempting to write a record that is longer than the maximum record length.|
|S004||Error occured during OPEN. Eg Invalid DCB.|
|S013||Error OPENing a dataset, eg PDS member does not exist, record length in program doesn’t match dataset’s record length|
|S0C1||Operation Exception. Check for subscript errors, missing DD card, file not opened|
|S0C4||Protection Exception/Storage Violation. Trying to access storage not available to the program. Can be caused by a subscripting error or reading/writing a file that isn’t open.|
|S0C7||Program Check Exception - Data. Check for spaces in a packed decimal or numeric field. Check to see if record layouts or file layouts have been changed.|
|Sx22||Job has been cancelled. The value of x will vary depending on the way the job was cancelled. S222 means job was cancelled by a user or operator without a dump. If a TSO session times out you will probably get an S522 abend code.|
|S806||Unable Link or Load. The job was unable to find the specified load module. Check that the job is looking at the correct Load Libraries, specify a STEPLIB if required.|
|S80A||Not enough Virtual Sorage to satisfy a GETMAIN or FREEMAIN request.|
|S822||Unable to obtain to obtain enough space to satisfy a REGION= request May need to change REGION statement in the JCL|
|S878||Not enough storage available to satisfy a GETMAIN or FREEMAIN request.. Job was anable to allocate an area of memory of the correct size. Try Specifying or amending the ‘REGION=’ JCL statement|
|S913||You are trying to access a dataset which you are not authorized to use|
|Sx37||Unable to allocate enough storage for a dataset. You might need to increase the amount of primary and secondary space to be allocated for a dataset in the ‘SPACE=’ parameter, or you may have to move the dataset to a different DASD devive which has enought space to store the dataset. ‘x’ will vary, likely Abends are SB37, SD37 or SE37.|
|U1020||I/O Logic error. Typical reasons are; trying to write to a file opened as input; Rewrite without a previous read. See the message IGZ020I for details of the exact reason.|
|U1035||Inavlid OPEN/CLOSE. Check there is a DD statement for the file. See the message IGZ035I for more detailed information|